Policies Concerning the Display of Images and Information on the Club Website (June 2018)
In view of a previous problem encountered by the club and the evolving nature of privacy case law, and data protection, it now seems appropriate to have a formal written policy on website publication. Members are advised that their legal rights to take images and the rights to publish them are not identical.
Members are advised to consult the copyright section of the Resources Page of the Royal Photographic Society.
The club website database contains the name and email address of every member. This information is required so that members can login to the member-only pages. This online information is only accessible to 3 members of the club committee; the web editor, the secretary, and competition secretary.
These policies only apply to the display of images and information on the club website and specifically do not apply to the Photoentry website used for competition submission.
Personal Information and Member portraits on the Club Website
1) Members must respect each other’s privacy by not passing the portrait images of club members and the identifying personal details of the committee members, which appear on the private Who is Who and Committee pages of the club website, to people outside of the club. These images are provided on the website for personal viewing only.
2) Display of member names and portraits on the Who’s Who page is on an entirely voluntary basis.
3) When members leave the club or do not renew their membership following an AGM their portrait and name will be removed from the Who’s Who and Committee pages of the website. Their username, email address, gallery pages and external links will also be deleted. The secretary will retain the personal information separately outside of the website in line with the data retention policy (in case copyright issues arise for example).
Publication of Member’s Images
4) Members are individually responsible for the content of the images that are published on the website. The only exceptions to this policy are the small portraits of club members displayed on the Who is Who and Committee pages.
5) The club will display the name of a member in relation to any image submitted either directly to the editor for display on the gallery pages, sent to the events organiser for publication, or those that will appear on competition pages, as specified by the club constitution.
6) Images published on the club website must be the exclusive work of the member submitting the images. Members must own the copyright to images or text submitted by them and must not have awarded management rights of images to any third parties including picture agencies or publishers. Members are individually responsible for any breaches of this policy. If a member wishes to sell or pass on the copyright or award management rights of images to a third party they must notify the secretary, competition secretary and website editor so that such images can be removed from the club website before any transfer of copyright or assignment of management rights take place.
General Editorial Policies
7) The editor will exercise his or her discretion on what may be published as specified by the club constitution.
9) Where possible the club will provide publicity and links to the external photographic work of members but will not do so against the wishes of the member concerned. The club is in no way responsible for the content of such external publications.
10) No pictures of children taken against the wishes of the parents or legal guardian or without the knowledge of their parents or legal guardian will be published. The image name must not contain the family name of the child or identify the family, his or her place of residence, school or GPS information.
11) The club committee fully endorses the RPS Nature Photographers Code of Practice as published by the Royal Photographic Society including the guiding belief that “The welfare of the subject is more important than the photograph.”